At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
As part of the HSE team, you will be instrumental in providing leadership, direction and expert advice to the BHP Coal Assets and other stakeholders on all occupational hygiene related matters and risks. This will include analysis of performance data to identify improvement opportunities, development and management of projects and supporting company and regulatory requirements and commitments.
- Support the identification and assessment of occupational hygiene hazards including dust, noise, gases, heat stress, asbestos, vibration, biological agents, potable water and radiation.
- Engages with site based HSE to give expertise to line management on risks and controls with HSE impacts and key regulatory requirements.
- Monitors performance, analyses data and identifies improvements to HSE structures, processes and systems in line with Our Requirements (GLDs) and legal requirements.
- Manage the BHP health and hygiene data management system (Cority) to ensure quality of exposure monitoring data and accurate reporting of results to stakeholders.
- Sets Hygiene standards and facilitates the design and establishment of procedures and systems.
- As the primary point of contact develop and maintain effective networks with key external stakeholders in NSW & Qld (industry bodies, government and regulatory bodies) in order to ensure effective influencing strategies to support the company’s position on key issues.
- Collaborates with Health & Hygiene personnel across BHP to identify opportunities for simplification, replication and standardisation.
- Support Head of HSE in influencing MAu VP HSE and ALT NSWEC & BMC.
- Tertiary degree / qualifications in Occupational Hygiene, Health Science, Chemistry, Physics or a relevant associated field and have Certified Occupational Hygiene (COH) status or be working towards attaining COH status
- Influencing and coaching line management at multiple organisation levels, with demonstrated capability in influencing senior management to obtain outcomes.
- Budget and contract management.
- Application of health and safety legislation
- Leadership in the implementation of the HSE Management System.
- Good computer based skills with knowledge in various MS programs and familiarity with HSE data management systems including Cority.
- Typically minimum 5+ years of relevant industry experience with strong technical capability..
- Establishment and delivery of hygiene monitoring and regulatory compliance programs
- Strong understanding of State and Commonwealth hygiene related legislation
- Working knowledge of regulatory hygiene policies and procedures and their implementation in the mining sector.
- Experience in managing contractors and deliverables to a schedule and budget.
- Leading change initiatives under difficult circumstances.
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.