South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometres west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, the purpose of this role is to provide geological information and interpretation for underground production planning, including tracking of ore grades.
What the Role Entails
- Geological stope assessments
- Underground mapping
- ROM management
- Diamond drill hole design, core logging, assay QA/QC and assisting with drill contractor management
- Geological interpretation and validation of block model
- Collaboration with other departments including Mine Design, Geotechnical Engineering, Survey, Metallurgy and Operations
- Assist site Exploration team when required
The ideal candidate will need to have the following:
- Degree qualifications in Geology or Geosciences
- Experience in hard rock Underground Operations is desirable
- Analytical and action oriented
- Knowledge of Mining packages, ideally Datamine, Leapfrog and/or Deswik
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Team player
- Improvement focused
What We Offer You
You will be offered an attractive salary package including a performance-based bonus and participation in the Employee Share Plan. Cannington mine provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities. This is a FIFO Full Time role from Townsville or Brisbane on an 8 Days On 6 Days Off Day Shift roster.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.