|Job Type:||Full Time|
For Australia: Applicants to this role must have work authorization in Australia. This role is not eligible for work visa sponsorship.
Due to the current health crisis related to COVID-19 and the escalating visa/travel restrictions in place, we're currently unable to extend offers to anyone who cannot work from Australia or Japan due to lockdown visa/travel restrictions, or other restrictive measures until further notice. Consequently, we will be prioritizing candidates who can start in this location by set date as expected. We're keeping the situation under review and would adjust our position should the restrictive measures be removed later on.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Sydney NSW, Australia; Tokyo, Japan
- Bachelor of Laws, Juris Doctor, or comparable law degree.
- Qualified lawyer, with experience in private practice and/or an in-house team.
- 5 years of experience in commercial negotiations, with broad transactional background in digital music licensing agreements and experience with negotiations and support of multi-territorial licensing entities.
- Ability to travel 30% of the time.
- Excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Excellent work ethic, well organized and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
About the job
As Corporate Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You're part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
You are a lawyer ready to focus on cutting edge music licensing and related transactions for Google products, particularly YouTube and Google Play. You will be negotiating, drafting, and analyzing a wide variety of music and video content licensing and related agreements for YouTube’s and Google’s growing digital media business. You’ll be analyzing and advising on legal issues relating to the use of music across the entire spectrum of Google products. You're diligent and proactive and can bring excellent business judgment and strategic thinking. You can work independently and collaboratively in a collegial, fluid team environment.
Google Legal is a close-knit team of lawyers and legal professionals who operate on a global stage. YouTube, as well as many of Google's other innovative services, raise challenging legal questions that demand creative and practical answers. We work at the crossroads of new technologies and existing laws to provide those answers, helping Google build innovative and important products for our users around the world.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Respond promptly to legal requests from Business Development, Sales, Licensing, Marketing and other business areas.
- Negotiate, draft, and review multi-territorial music and video content licensing agreements with record labels, music publishers, and collecting societies primarily for YouTube.
- Advise Business Development, as well as Finance and other company departments, on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, intellectual property, together with advising on overall strategic positioning.
- Support continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes.