At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
As a Drill and Blast Engineer you will play a key role in supporting the development of an executable schedule, identifying risk and opportunities, managing change and communicating the operating strategy without compromising on quality and sustainability, whilst maximising productivity.
Reporting to the Superintendent Drill & Blast, you will play an integral role by:
- Serving as the conduit between planning, operations and other key stakeholders, providing technical engineering guidance and support that enables both the schedule and execution of drill & blast activities.
- Ensuring all drill designs consider practicality, productivity and safety considerations
- Understanding the economic drivers that underpin both revenue and cost within the operation to ensuring these are incorporated into decision making.
- Providing guidance too and validation of explosive forecasting associated with the mine plan
- Driving our safety culture through quality field leadership
- Seeking to continuously improve both efficiency and value of the process through work planning practices and procedures
- Identifying and implementing cultural and process improvement initiatives within the team/operation
- Ensuring that risk in the plan or designs are proactively identified, mitigated and where required adequately controlled
- Ensuring sound engagement of key stakeholders both with regards to gathering plan inputs and the communication of plan outputs
You will be an enthusiastic, driven and output focused individual with highly developed written and verbal communication skills. You will have demonstrated success in building effective and collaborative Business partnerships with diverse stakeholder groups in order to delivery positive business outcomes.
In addition, the following skills and experience will be highly regarded:
- A tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering is desirable
- Experience in drill and blast design, mine design or scheduling would be highly advantageous
- Diverse experience in engineering, scheduling, and Cad design within related industries will be viewed favourably
- Mine planning software skills (Vulcan, BlastLogic, XACT) highly desirable
- A C class drivers licence
You will be based at our ‘Mount Whaleback’ mine site on a fly-in fly-out 8:6 roster. Our Mount Whaleback mine is located approximately five kilometres from the town of Newman, Western Australia and at more than five kilometres long and nearly 1.5 kilometres wide, it is the biggest single-pit open-cut iron ore mine in the world.
Remuneration and Benefits
Join us and be rewarded with interesting, challenging work in a supportive team culture. Develop skills for life whilst enjoying access to benefits including; incentive bonus, award winning share scheme, education assistance and generous superannuation scheme. As part of our commitment to inclusion and diversity, we offer a range of family friendly work practices, including flexible work arrangements, and a substantial parental leave policy, includes retirement savings / superannuation contributions during parental leave.
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.