At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
Nickel West is a fully integrated mine-to-market business. Our culture is rich with technical know-how, highly efficient and focused on innovation. The business employs over 2500 people from five operations across Western Australia comprising of nickel underground and open-cut mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. We also have plans to expand our operations with new mines in the northern Goldfields and a large nickel sulphate plant in Kwinana.
A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West is undergoing an exciting business transformation to become a globally significant supplier of battery materials to the electric vehicle market. Nickel West will soon become the world’s largest producer of Nickel Sulphate, a key ingredient in lithium-ion batteries. As the world’s largest producer of nickel briquettes and nickel powder, Nickel West is leading the new-energy revolution in Western Australia.
Nickel West has an exciting future ahead. We invite you to join us at Nickel West as we seek to energise our future.
We have a strong focus on finding candidates with the right values, leadership, and communication skills. Your superior stakeholder engagement will foster collaborative working relationships across our Geoscience, Engineering, Studies and Operational Teams. In addition to demonstrated leadership capability, you will have the skills and knowledge to provide critical thinking and a solution-focussed attitude.
The ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and organisational levels to create buy-in and influence outcomes will be highly regarded. A passion for continuous improvement will contribute to the identification, development and implementation of improvement opportunities.
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering and / or Geoscience, or a related discipline.
- At least 2 years geotechnical engineering experience.
- Resource industry and site based geotechnical experience
- Geotechnical open cut mine design experience
- Capability with a Mining CAD package (such as Deswik)
- Capability with geotechnical engineering software
- Competitive salary on offer plus 12% superannuation and a range of company benefits
- Great family friendly 7 days on, 7 days off roster flying in and out of Perth
- Join our growing Technical Services Team and help us to ‘energise our future’
You will be responsible for the following;
- Provide geotechnical advice in relation to mine plans, slope stability, hazard management and provide geotechnical support to operations and short to medium term planning.
- Maintain and improve the site’s Ground Control Management Plan.
- Conduct investigations into geotechnical concerns to identify areas of risk and, where required, develop management plans with recommendations to mitigate risk, including stability and rock fall analysis
- Maintain records and report information relevant to geotechnical hazards
- Mapping and evolution of understanding of ground conditions
- Communicate with operations & key stakeholders to share safety information and risk management activities pertaining to geotechnical hazard management.
- Maintaining the geotechnical monitoring system and reporting (prisms and radars)
Nickel West Mt Keith
Nickel West Mt Keith is located 460 kilometres north of Kalgoorlie in the Northern Goldfields. Nickel West Mt Keith is a surface mining operation with multiple open pits and a concentrator plant. The operation is surrounded by pastoral stations, with the nearest townships being Leinster and Wiluna. There’s plenty to keep you entertained in the Mt Keith Village. Take the heat off the day and head to the pool – or join in any number of social activities. Employees commute to and from Perth on a fly in / fly out roster or form regional areas on a drive in / drive out roster.
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.