|Job Type:||Full Time|
Tailings and Geotechnical SME
- Closure is an emerging issue across the mining industry and we are well positioned to be at the forefront of facing the challenges and realising opportunities
- Be part of a group that appreciates divergent thinkers with an ability to challenge the status quo
- Position can be based in Perth or Brisbane, Australia
About the role
The Tailings and Geotechnical SME will have a key role in ensuring compliance with Rio Tinto’s Standards with an emphasis on Tailings and Water Management in Asia Pacific to ensure risks are appropriately identified and managed at all legacy sites and mine closures, and that appropriate plans are in place for addressing these risks during the closure study phase. This includes hazards associated with tailings storage facilities, water storage facilities, natural and engineered slopes and underground. This role will ensure that the asset owners have secured appropriate engineering support and represent Rio Tinto Closure (RTC) in the Rio Tinto Centers of Excellence.
The Tailings and Geotechnical SME will work collaboratively with an existing Geotech SME in RTC to lead and manage the design and implementation of operational/closure readiness processes, practices and tools globally.
- Ensure safe, viable, effective, economical long-term Tailings storage facilities (TSF), water storage facilities (WSF) and geotechnical risk management through inspections, reviews, monitoring and surveillance.
- Provide advice and guidance to RTC assets on conducting Dam Break Studies to ensure a balanced and congruent approach that is aligned with other product groups in Rio Tinto
- Participation in all Geotechnical Major hazard risk assessments in RTC
- Strategic advisory and SME technical support for relinquishment planning and commercial exit strategies
- Participate on behalf of RTC in the Major Hazard Technical Committee and other Technical Hazard Committees and Working Groups and cascade information from the various working groups to Regional General Managers and asset Nominated Managers
- Provide expert advice and guidance to Nominated Managers on work performed by asset engineers and independent reviewers
What you will bring
A combination of skills and experience will be considered including:
- A civil, geological or geotechnical engineering degree and substantial geotechnical and tailings experience
- Proven experience and understanding of geotechnical engineering for tailings facilities, water storage facilities, slope management and underground control
- Ability to work with an interdisciplinary technical team in problem solving
- Strategic thinker with good commercial awareness and negotiating skills
- Ability to work across a networked organization
- Proven experience of influencing senior leaders
- Experience managing teams of employees, researchers and contractors across time zones
- Divergent thinking with an ability to challenge the status quo
Where you will be working
Rio Tinto Closure (RTC) is the business that safely transforms Rio Tinto’s end of life mining, processing and infrastructure assets by developing innovative and sustainable solutions to leave a positive closure legacy. We collaborate with all parts of Rio Tinto to focus on maximizing post operational opportunities, de-risking and reducing the scale of closure liabilities and executing existing and near term closures at optimal cost.
What we offer:
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience
- Annual incentive program
- Career development to further your ambitions
- Access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, etc)
Our culture is aligned with Rio Tinto’s values of safety, teamwork, respect, integrity and excellence with the addition of two specific values: entrepreneurship and creativity. We have a non-hierarchical approach, one open to improving collaboration and fostering inclusion. This culture enables multi-disciplinary teams to network on complex challenges across organizational boundaries (internal and external).
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.