South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Illawarra Metallurgical Coal is a long term and leading coking coal supplier which operates two underground metallurgical coal mines, two preparation plants and a logistics chain.
About the role
Reporting to the Superintendent Infrastructure Protection and Legacy Sites, the purpose of the role is to provide advanced spatial data interpretation, data management and analysis to the Mining Services and HSEC teams. The role primarily supports regulatory compliance for subsidence and environmental monitoring as well as specialised data capture and interpretation.
Other accountabilities include:
- Provide advanced GIS coordination and technical support with a focus on automation and data analysis
- Lead research into innovative technologies that enhance IMC’s monitoring capabilities, including;
- UAV-based mapping and monitoring
- Remote sensing measurement
- Advanced geographic analysis
- Assist Coordinator Survey and Subsidence maintain regulatory compliance by assisting with survey results creation
- Provide cross-department/team level systems development and support for the management and analysis of data
- Hold the Chief Pilot position for IMC’s UAV operations and lead routine stockpile flights and volumetric analysis
This position will be based at our Cordeaux Colliery operations which are in the southern coalfield of New South Wales, near the coastal city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south of Sydney, with occasional travel to our Wollongong office, located at the University of Wollongong’s Innovation Campus.
- Tertiary qualifications in Geographic Information Systems or equivalent
- Remote Pilot’s License (preferred)
- Demonstrated experience with ESRI GIS software, including Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst
- Advanced proficiency with programming languages, preferably Python, Visual Basic and SQL
- Remote electronic data capture experience, including embedded electronics; and air-born and satellite-based data capture
- Competitive salary
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.