South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminum, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realize the potential of their resources.
About the role
Reporting to the Manager Finance Reporting, this role will provide specialist advice and execute tasks related to the development of financial reporting and analysis.
- Ensure high quality analysis and benchmarking on key business drivers to assist senior management in decision making.
- Assist with the preparation of the monthly Board Performance Report.
- Manage the budget and forecasting process for selected Operations.
- Ensure high quality analysis and accurate reporting of the Group’s financial results.
Duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Prepare and optimise the South32 budgeting and forecasting process, including submission of the consolidated outcome to the Board.
- Delivery of the monthly financial results for the Group Lead Team and Board including detail analysis of performance.
- Consolidation and preparation of management briefing papers and other internal/external management reporting requirements for half year and year end reporting requirements (Quarterly Production Report, Results Announcement, Operations Finance Review, etc.)
- Ensure capital is managed in a disciplined manner (by driving competition for capital, consistent with our focus on ROIC).
- Provide deeper analysis of key drivers and benchmarking to identify productivity improvement and cost efficiency opportunities (including industry and competitor costs curves).
- Assess and communicate key cost drivers to facilitate cost control and performance improvements.
- Develop/Maintain Key Value Driver Trees for our Operations.
- Perform scenario analysis across the Operations.
- Undertake monthly performance reporting and analysis of production and costs.
- Provide other accounting and systems support as required by management.
- Bachelor Degree in Business, Commerce, Finance
- CA or CPA qualified
Experience & Technical Competencies
- Experience gained in management reporting in a Mining or Processing Industry
- Ability to interpret and analyse financial statements (P&L, Cash Flow and Balance Sheet statements)
- Comprehensive understanding (or a demonstrated willingness to develop a comprehensive understanding) of economics, corporate finance methodologies
- Strong analytical, modelling and research skills, including demonstrable proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in the use of SAP, BI and TM1
- Competent in data manipulation and financial modelling in MS Excel
- Analytical and accurate, with an inquisitive mindset to critically evaluate information
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organization, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.