Last updated 18 days ago
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Your role can be summarised by ‘you do what is needed for the team to succeed’. You will be responsible for supporting your reports to become awesome Xeros, through coaching and mentoring, drawing on your background in Software Engineering, while being hands on with delivery. You’ll work with the Product Owner, Designers, BAs and Agile Team Facilitator in the team to make sure that your team has a set of clear goals and responsibilities, and that any blockers for delivery are cleared in a timely fashion. You’ll also work alongside your Engineering Manager and fellow Development Team Leads to drive cross-team initiatives to enable the success of the group as a whole.
About the team
This role will be in a new team within Xero’s Payroll group. The team you’ll be leading and growing will be working directly towards ensuring customers have the capability and confidence to be able to pay their employees accurately and on time. The work you do within this team will have a real world impact on people’s day to day lives and you’ll be helping small businesses thrive!
About the role
As the leader of the team, you will be responsible for:
- Directly supporting your reports to succeed and excel in their roles, through regular catch ups, continuous feedback, coaching, mentoring, and all the other techniques you utilise.
- Ensuring the engagement and continuous improvement of your team members, for teamwork, engineering, and test practices.
- Building a healthy team environment based around trust and respect, empowering all team members to contribute equally
- Work with product and other stakeholders to ensure delivery is effective, predictable and sustainable.
- Supporting the team in advancing organisation objectives.
In addition to the team leadership, you will also;
- Contribute to your team’s goal of delivering robust, high quality software
- Contribute to analysis, design, specifications and/or user stories
- Identify and resolve issues raised throughout the development cycle
- Provide timely and effective code reviews where appropriate
- Champion and perform development and test activities in alignment with guidelines and standards
- You understand and work with an Agile Software Development mindset.
- You come from a software engineering background and can demonstrate your experience and contributions to previous projects.
- You have a passion for helping people fulfil their potential by coaching and mentorship.
- You enjoy and can demonstrate an ability to work with a diverse group of people through building trust and developing a rapport. These skills assist you when working with others to achieve delivery and team outcomes.
- Prior leadership experience preferred
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.