South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Illawarra Metallurgical Coal (IMC) is a long term and leading coking coal supplier which operates two underground metallurgical coal mines, two preparation plants and a logistics chain.
About the role
Reporting to the General Manager – Appin Colliery, this role is responsible for the control and management of all underground mining operations for Appin Colliery in accordance with current Health and Safety Management Systems and relevant statutory legislation.
Other accountabilities include:
- Develop, supervise, monitor and review the mining engineering standards and procedures forming part of mining operations at the mine
- Accountable for implementation, control and review of safe coal mining operations consistent with current WHS management systems and relevant legislation
- Work as an effective member of the mine management team to ensure that accountable activities are in the overall best interests of the mine
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with government officials, major contractors and other external stakeholders
- Maintain an up-to-date awareness of all relevant safety requirements, legislation and policies
- Attend the daily review meeting to monitor daily statutory performance
- Investigate and report incidents promptly, identify hazards and rectify them in a timely manner
- Maintain and update the mine Safety Management System, consistent with statutory needs, including the Emergency Management System
The position will be based at our Appin operation which is in the southern coalfields of New South Wales, near the coastal city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south and southwest of Sydney, with occasional travel to our Wollongong office, located at the University of Wollongong’s Innovation Campus.
- Certificate of competence to be a Mining Engineering Manager for an underground coal mine
- Practicing certificate to be a Mining Engineering Manager for an underground coal mine
- RII60315 Advanced Diploma of Underground Coal Mining Management
- Financial skills to assess business impact / results of initiatives
- Riierr602d Emergency Preparedness qualification &
- Current first aid certificate
- Competitive remuneration package
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.