We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
GEMCO is one of the world's largest manganese mining and concentrating operations located on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory, accounting for over 20% of the worlds' manganese ore production. GEMCO controls and operates all aspects of mining, processing, logistics and shipping on Groote Eylandt.
This position will be based on Groote Eylandt and is offered on a residential basis. GEMCO is a one-hour flight from Darwin and a one hour twenty-minute flight from Cairns. GEMCO's facilities include an indoor gym, beachside workout area, swimming pool, golf course, tennis and squash courts, sports oval and scenic walking track.
About the role
Safely Mentor the Legacy Crew by planning and executing a diverse works program including (but not limited to) small machinery, earthworks, construction, civil, fabrication and household maintenance and other legacy tasks. This position is a critical lever to delivering RMSL’s purpose statement.
Other duties will include:
- Coach Legacy Crew employees to enhance their personal and work skills development, in and outside the workplace
- Ensure all operators are trained and competent to meet or exceed GEMCO requirements prior to commencing works
- Exchange knowledge with crew, passing on Trade and Industry skills and learning aspects of local culture and work practices
- Maintain record keeping systems to demonstrate Legacy Crew historic, current and future performance
- Support, mentor and develop others within the team
- Provide leadership to employees and contractors in relation to complying with the S32 training and HSE requirements
- A background in Indigenous Employment/training, Construction, Maintenance, Mining, Civil, Trades or other like industries
- Excellent record keeping, planning, project and time management skills
- Ability to read and follow plans and contribute to their development or improvement
- Maintain appropriate licensing and competencies to effectively supervise
- Competitive Salaries
- Subsidised housing
- Holiday Travel Assistance
- Dependent Child Education Assistance
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.