South32 is a new kind of resources company built around a single idea: that in a rapidly changing world, we have an opportunity to make a difference from the ground up. We are a globally diversified metals and mining company with a portfolio of high quality, well maintained, cash generative assets.
Worsley Alumina is one of the largest and lowest-cost bauxite mining and alumina refining operations in the world. Worsley manages a bauxite mine, alumina refinery and port operations in Western Australia’s South West.
About the role
The role supports a significant geometallurgical program. Reporting to the Technology Lead, the purpose of this role will be to provide quantitative spectral data processing capability for bauxite resource management and planning and refinery optimisation. This will include:
- Collection of spectral characterisation data from resource samples
- Development and maintenance of predictive models for bauxite properties
- Application of this approach to other opportunities within the Worsley business
This is offered as a 2-year Fixed Term opportunity based at the Worsley Alumina Refinery near Collie in WA’s South West.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Working with resource geology dept to acquire spectral scans and primary data for calibration requirements
- Ensure primary data is of suitable accuracy and precision
- Develop predictive quantitative models for parameters of interest
- Assess, verify and maintain models with changing geology
- Multivariate modelling for refinery application
- Develop models suitable for the refinery control and optimisation
- Assist in commissioning of plant bauxite analysers
- Assist in commissioning of plant liquor analysers
- Design and execute necessary programs of study to optimise use of multivariate models
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or Geology desirable
- Spectral geology and/or chemometrics data analytics capability
- Multivariate predictive modelling experience using eg. Matlab, Unscrambler, or similar
- Database management experience
- Proven ability to solve problems and deal with ambiguity
- Technical report writing
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.