|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Geologist – Resource Development – FIFO
- Be part of a dynamic supportive team in fast paced mining, project evaluation and exploration operations
- Use your coaching and mentoring skills to support and develop a high performing team!
- Opportunity to be involved with cutting edge technology
About the role
OurResource Developmentdepartment is looking for a Senior Geologistto support and develop a team of Geologists responsible for the execution and delivery ofevaluation and exploration programs, in both near mine and regional areas.
Resource Developmentis a department within Planning Integration and Assets, and to be successful needs to work closely with many internal and external stakeholders (including Technical Services, Mine Engineering and Operations), to identify gaps and opportunities in resource understanding, generate targets for resource evaluation and ensure project delivery.
- Supporting a safe workplace through active Leadership in the Field, driving improvements around Safety Maturity and setting clear expectations for direct reports
- Fostering a culture of teamwork through collaboration with peers across the Resource Development division
- Mentoring and leading the Geoscience team to ensure optimum team and individual performance to support site and department objectives
- Developing team capability through technical mentoring, task allocation and support of development plans
- Accountable for delivery of high quality geoscience outputs and leading improvement projects
- Collaborating closely with cross functional stakeholders including mine geology, resource estimation and geo-metallurgical teams to maintain alignment around technical deliverables.
- Providing specialist/ discipline services at a high level of technical competence to meet project requirements
- Maturing the pipeline of IO mineral inventory through the generation, testing and reporting of Exploration Targets and Mineral Prospects
- Supervising specific components of project work as assigned
- Monitoring contract deliverables in accordance with company standards
To succeed in this role, you will be a tertiary qualified Geologist with demonstrated experience within exploration, evaluation or mine geology. You will have a natural ability to collaborate with stakeholders from different business functions and will have demonstrated safety and technical leadership experience or attributes.
Iron ore experience is preferred, however exposure to other commodities will also be advantageous. A manual ‘C’ class driver’s licence is required and your knowledge of mining/mapping and modelling software packages (preferably Leapfrog, Vulcan, MapInfo and acQuire) will also ensure your success in this role.
Where you will be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world's largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world's largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies.
This position will be offered on a FIFO 8 days on, 6 days off roster from Perth.
What we are offering
- An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets
- A safety-focussed and inclusive working environment
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers everything life throws at you
- Discounted Health cover scheme for you and your immediate family
- An array of salary sacrifice and packaging options
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee discounts with our many partners in banking, motoring, hotel accommodation, airlines/travel and retail
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Aluminium for cars and smartphones. Copper for wind turbines, electric cars and the pipes that bring water to our home. Borates that help crops grow, titanium for paint – and diamonds that celebrate the best things in life.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
Applications close on Thursday 17thSeptember (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)