|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are Australia's largest superannuation fund, here to help members achieve their best possible retirement outcome. Working with a wide range of stakeholders, we create meaningful value for members and our communities through our diverse workforce of highly competent and highly motivated employees.
Your new role
To support the growth of AustralianSuper (the Fund) we are seeking an in-house Senior Legal Counsel to join our Investments Legal team on a permanent basis.
The role of Senior Legal Counsel is designed to ensure the legal risks associated with the Fund's growing investment activities are effectively identified, negotiated and mitigated. There will be a focus on the Funds direct investments, with you being accountable for running transactions across infrastructure, debt, property and private equity - both domestically and internationally and responding to legal queries from across the Investments Department.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the legal and related due diligence required in respect of the assets in which the Fund is planning to invest, with a focus on the Fund's direct investments in infrastructure, debt, property and private equity
- Manage transactions on a global scale across all asset classes
- Negotiate and document contractual agreements for transactions
- Identify and mitigate legal risks associated with the Fund's investment activities
- Own the relationship with external due diligence providers ensuring all material risks are addressed to the Fund's satisfaction
- Provide advice on legal documentation and commercial terms in relation to the Fund's investment activities
- Take ownership of the development and implementation of appropriate control processes, precedents and checklists for both listed and unlisted assets
- Help to ensure the Fund is structed and operating in an optimal manner to ensure scale and opportunities are exploited
- Be responsible for presenting and advising on a transaction's legal risks to the Fund's appropriate decision-making group
- Establish a trusted advisor relationship with all internal stakeholders to support achievement of their objectives and form networks with global peers
- Keep pace with the issues surrounding the investment of funds into a broad range of asset classes and communicate these to senior stakeholders as required
The above is not a comprehensive list and may change from time to time based on business needs.
- A wealth of experience working within private practice at a large law firm or an in-house legal function within an institutional investing organisation
- Strong expertise in infrastructure and an understanding of debt / M&A / other transactional law
- Extensive experience working on large-scale corporate/commercial/infrastructure transactions
- Extensive experience managing projects with several parties and service providers
- Experience in conducting negotiations, drafting contracts, preparing reports, analysing information and drawing conclusions
- A strong track record of projects with several parties and service providers
- Detailed comprehension of due diligence principles in relation to investments
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to present ideas, perspectives and issues to senior management
- Relevant degree and/or qualifications
Please note, this is deemed an "Access Person" role, meaning Disclosure and Personal Trading requirements apply to the successful candidate
What you will get in return
This role will offer the opportunity to grow your skill set, supporting international transactions and legal matters and the chance to share your knowledge across the broader legal offering. You will be working with a Manager who values personal growth and is supportive of on-going development.
Furthermore, will you have the chance to work for a growing, dynamic and authentic business that values integrity and puts its members first, but you get a whole host of other benefits. A competitive salary is on offer and your benefits include genuine flexible working arrangements, discounted travel, income protection insurance and generous leave entitlements to name a few.
We put members first in everything we do and are committed to the recruitment, development and support of a diverse workforce that share our values of Energy, Integrity, Generosity of Spirit and Excellent Outcomes.
If you would like the opportunity to work in a challenging, growing and rapidly evolving team to deliver outstanding results, please apply now!
We are committed to the recruitment, development and support of a diverse workforce into an environment which is inclusive, embraces diversity in all its forms and is a place where you can be you. All roles can flex at AustralianSuper and we're happy to discuss what this can look like for you.
Be Inspired, Be Bold, Be you
Agencies please note: this vacancy is being managed directly by AustralianSuper's Recruitment team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require additional support. Thank you.