|Job Type:||Full Time|
We hesitate to put “data engineer” on this job ad, because it’s not your usual data engineering role. You’ll be designing, building and operating software systems that manage petabytes of data, as we transform imagery with deep learning, and human expert labelling systems in the loop. Operating almost exclusively on cloud native technologies (primarily AWS and Kubernetes), you’ll make heavy use of technologies like Kafka, gRPC, REST APIs and other modern data management and storage tools. So it’s a data engineering role, but a hugely complex one that operates well outside the standard categorical data / ETL flows that happen in many organisations.
The Role & Team…
Working with an incredibly passionate and talented team of Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers, and your work will interface with systems that run tensorflow on thousands of GPUs, and train large deep learning models with novel architectures. For the right candidate, your core passion will be the data systems rather than the machine learning itself.
At Nearmap, we have petabytes of high-quality aerial imagery (covering half a million square kilometres a year at 5-7cm resolution, and regularly captured imagery back to 2009). We produce automated 3D models of entire cities, and have recently launched our new product, Nearmap AI, which turns our visual content into semantic information to power decisions in a wide range of organisations. As a publicly listed company focused on growth, we have both the resources to allow you to succeed in your role, and the agility (thanks to cloud-based infrastructure) to rapidly take advantage of the latest developments in the field. Nearmap is continually evolving, and you’ll need to thrive in a fast-paced environment that changes rapidly.
Reporting to the Principal Machine Learning Engineer who runs our Data Engine team within the AI Systems group. The team mixes data science, ML engineering and software engineering, and has responsibility for building the systems and managing the data for human expert labelling of our imagery, and support the training and management of our deep learning models. We have a custom labelling environment built on our Map Browser product that allows our labelling team to annotate 2D, 3D and source imagery. We use algorithms in the loop to enhance the human labelling of millions of images, and automatically produce training data sets for ML that continually grow and improve in quality. We also facilitate the creation of new labelling projects, as we seek to build a richer machine learning derived picture of our physical world.
A bit more about the culture…
At Nearmap, every opinion matters, our business model partnered with our open-door management style gives you the opportunity to make an impact. Our Nearmappers see the world differently and are intently focused on delivering the best location content in the world. Having a shared goal and a lot of fun reaching it is how our Nearmappers truly flourish at their home away from home. We're all super down-to-earth - except when we're in the sky capturing fresh imagery!
More about what you need to bring…
We're after an exceptional candidate, who has real world experience but is still eager to learn.
The main attributes we're after are:
- Pragmatism: While deep knowledge of software engineering best practices is highly valued, pragmatism wins over elaborate theory when it comes to shipping products that work.
- Collaboration: We believe working on AI is a team sport, and are after candidates who can communicate well, share knowledge, and be open to taking on ideas from anyone in the team. Having worked on shared code-bases in a commercial environment is mandatory, but it's the attitude that matters most.
- Mandatory Technical Skills:
- Production data systems (databases, unstructured data stores, pipelines etc.)
- Cloud technologies
- Python (application development, not just scripting!)
- REST APIs (and gRPC)
- Highly Valued Skills:
- Kubernetes & Docker
- Stream processing (ideally including Kafka)
- Working with terabytes or petabytes of semi/unstructured data in a data warehouse or lake setup.
- Education and Experience: At minimum, a technical bachelors level degree (engineering, computer science, etc.), with a few years of experience beyond that.
- Attention to detail: Showing attention to detail when it counts is important... to be considered for this role, [click this link](https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4janrzqgfxn61l/test.tar.gz?dl=0) and apply some basic data science skills (an astute software engineer should be able to solve it quickly with a little googling!).
Some of our perks include…
- Competitive pay, Bonus plan and Employee Share Scheme
- Flexible working environment, work life balance is a necessity
- Opportunities for continued career growth and development
- Free reign of Nearmap’s products
Watch our culture video and find out more about what a day in the life at Nearmap looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rikZqa8n8
Watch some presentations on what we do in the AI Systems group:
If you think it would be a great fit could see yourself working at Nearmap, we invite you to come and make a difference!