Werribee Mercy Hospital is excited to offer an Aboriginal Nursing Cadetship. This 12 month position provides the opportunity for pre‐graduation professional experience – with paid shifts that fit around your studies.
ABOUT THE CADETSHIP:
The Aboriginal Cadetship position has been developed to provide the cadet with pre‐graduation professional experience while undertaking undergraduate studies towards a Bachelor of Nursing. The Cadet position reflects a collaborative relationship between Indigenous candidates studying in their undergraduate Nursing course and relevant services within Mercy Health.
The Aboriginal Nursing Cadet provides support to the Nursing team in the provision of quality patient care. The Cadet works under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse at all times, within their level of education and under clearly defined role parameters.
- 1 year fixed term, with a required minimum of eight weeks full time, to commence anytime in 2018
- 40 paid supernumerary shifts over the course of one year
- Located at Werribee Mercy Hospital, in Werribee
- Gain experience providing patient‐centred, family oriented, evidence based care within a team environment
- Opportunity to provide care and support (as delegated) relating to patients’ activities of daily living
- Assist in providing a safe patient environment and additional supervision ensuring patient safety
- Provide general support to the ward health care team, ensuring effective and efficient care delivery
- Currently enrolled full time in Bachelor of Nursing
- Currently undertaking 2nd or 3rd Year Bachelor of Nursing studies
- You identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
Werribee Mercy Hospital is a General Public Hospital located in the rapidly growing western suburbs of Melbourne. Our services include surgical, medical, maternity, newborn, renal dialysis, emergency, mental health, rehabilitation, aged and palliative care. The hospital is currently undergoing significant expansion with a number of exciting capital projects currently underway, including an $85 million State Government funded redevelopment that will deliver a new critical care unit and take the total number of beds to 298. The hospital is within walking distance of Hoppers Crossing Train Station, there is also affordable onsite parking.
Mercy Health is a Catholic organisation employing over 8500 people who provide compassionate and holistic care through our acute hospitals, aged care facilities, mental health programs, palliative and respite services, maternity and women’s health services, early parenting services and home care services.
Mercy Health is proud to be recognised as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the WGEA.
BENEFITS OF THE CADETSHIP WITH MERCY HEALTH:
- Exciting opportunity to gain experience and confidence, with paid shifts over a 12 month period
- You will have a tailored program , which includes ongoing clinical and cultural mentoring
- Support from our Aboriginal Programs team
- Gain familiarisation with hospital settings
- Opportunity to indentify areas of interest and career planning
- Support for completion of education and support with applications for a graduate course or position
- Paid professional development days
- We are a values driven culture
- Mercy Health’s Reconciliation Action Plan is one of many initiatives to support culturally safe healthcare
To find out more about the benefits of workling for Mercy Health, please visit Mercy Health Careers homepage (http://careers.mercy.com.au/)
At Mercy Health we pride ourselves on embracing diversity and foster an inclusive culture where individual differences are respected and celebrated. We encourage applications from people of all ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
The Korin Korin Balit Djak plan is the Victorian Aboriginal health, wellbeing and safety strategic plan 2017‐2027 to realise the Victorian Governments commitment to developing a strong and sustainable Aboriginal workforce including public health providers.
To be the successful candidate you must meet the position requirements, and a current Police Record Check and Working with Children Check will be required (if successful).
Enquiries and applications to: Kassandra Russell, Learning Manager Mercy Hospitals Victoria Ltd, on (03) 8754 3514 or Kassandra.email@example.com
If you would like to apply for the cadetship, you will need to submit the following via email:
- A Cover Letter describing your interest in the cadetship, and why you want to pursue a career in nursing
- Your CV
For support with your application contact: Jonelle Mais, Recruitment Advisor Mercy Health on (03) 8458 4313 or firstname.lastname@example.org