|Job Type:||Full Time|
- Work with world-leading machine learning/artificial intelligence scientists
- Apply your knowledge to exciting challenges in spatiotemporal learning
- Join the CSIRO MLAI Future Science Platform (MLAI FSP)
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will undertake research in the CSIRO Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Future Science Platform (MLAI FSP). As the successful candidate you will develop new machine learning and artificial intelligence methods that have general applicability for spatiotemporal datasets. The methods will be applied to an exciting challenge in the Mineral Resources Business Unit: Discovering new resources. This science field has large complex, multilayered datasets that have significant analytical challenges. You will also have the opportunity to work with other members of the CSIRO MLAI FSP Platform on projects ranging across multiple science research areas. You will focus on the advancement and development of artificial intelligence methods and tools to improve generalisation and transferability and algorithms that address large complex, multilayered datasets. You will also work on addressing challenges facing data uncertainty, sparsity and unlabelled data using methods including self-supervised or semi-supervised learning.
- Developing generalised methods for automating the analysis of spatiotemporal data to address problems of lack of labelled data, data sparsity, uncertainty and data integrations given the diversity of data types and scales.
- Implementing these methods efficiently using programming tools such as TensorFlow and PyTorch on high performance computing systems.
- Carrying out evaluation of the developed software to demonstrate its competitiveness and fitness for purpose, taking responsibility for functionality, performance and robustness.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
Location: Brisbane preferred, other locations considered
Salary: AU$86k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, computer science, statistics, data analytics, applied mathematics or applied physics.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- Solid knowledge of machine learning, artificial intelligence and statistics, and the ability to understand and develop mathematically-founded machine learning algorithms and their development in toolkits such as TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- Knowledge of Python, C++ or equivalent.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Applicants must be Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2020/January 2021.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
9 August 2020, 11:00pm AEST