|Job Type:||Full Time|
- Work with world-leading machine learning/artificial intelligence scientists
- Help address challenges facing data uncertainty and interpretable decision-making
- Join the CSIRO MLAI Future Science Platform (MLAI FSP)
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
This role sits within the Decisions MLAI Activity and will work closely with leading scientists in CSIRO Land & Water (L&W) and machine learning and artificial intelligence experts in Data61 to develop fundamental and transformative machine learning/artificial intelligence algorithms and workflows for analysis of decision making with humans-in-the-loop, including decision making under imperfect knowledge, and interpretation of AIML outputs for human messaging. Your research will focus on developing machine learning algorithms to ensure generalisation and transferability and algorithms that combine multiple sources of data with domain knowledge and constraints. You will also work on addressing challenges facing data uncertainty and lack of labelled data.
- Developing generalised methods for analysing imperfect data to guide decision making, targeting data collection adaptively over time to reduce uncertainty, and messaging complicated AIML outputs in ways that are understandable and actionable by human decision makers.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Implementing these methods efficiently on high performance computer systems.
- Carrying out evaluation of the developed software to demonstrate its competitiveness and fitness for purpose, taking responsibility for functionality, performance and robustness.
Salary: AU$86k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer science, statistics, data analytics, environmental decision making, applied mathematics or applied physics.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or in top-tier conferences such as NeurIPS, ICML, AISTATS, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, AAAI, IJCAI,reports, grant applications or patents.
- Solid knowledge of artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques and proven ability to develop and apply such techniques to complex data sets.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- Knowledge of Python, C++ or equivalent.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Applicants must be Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian permanent residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2020/January 2021.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
6 August 2020, 11:00pm AEST