Naval Ship Management (Australia) Pty Ltd (NSM) is a leading provider of asset management solutions to the Australian maritime sector. Utilising a team of highly skilled professionals strategically located across Australia in conjunction with a robust, agile and scalable international supply chain, NSM provides cost-effective, responsive and customer-focused solutions that optimise the availability and capability of our customers’ critical assets.
Established in 2012,as a Joint Venture between Babcock Pty Ltd and UGL Ltd, we now support assets across the Royal Australian Navy’s fleet - most notably the Anzac Class Frigates as a member of the Warship Asset Management Agreement (WAMA) and the Canberra Class Landing Helicopter Docks (LHD), LHD Landing Craft (LLC) and associated assets. Our services include: Engineering Support Services; Maintenance Support Services; Ship Repair, Refit and Refurbishment; Supply Chain Management and Procurement and Logistics.
About the role
The role of Assistant Project Manager (APM) is to support the Project (Production) Manager in safely delivering maintenance activities on NSM contracted Navy platforms, including the ANZAC-Class Ship.
Previous defence experience is not required for this position. At NSM, we welcome the diversity of experience people bring to the organisation from a wide range of sectors.
The APM will be responsible for overall sub-contractor performance at a Project level and will provide leadership to the Subcontractor Coordinators ensuring improvement initiatives are developed and recognised.
- Develop Project Management Plans for each assigned project in conjunction with the PM;
- Act as a focal point in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with all stakeholders through each stage of the project;
- Lead the HSE drive for a “Safety First” Culture;
- Mentor, manage and provide leadership and engagement to Subcontractor Coordinators;
- Manage Subcontractor task allocation in accordance with company policy and assist in the evaluation of subcontractors’ variation claims and review estimates for emergent works ensuring Value for Money (VFM)
- Provide continuous subcontractor performance reviews to all stakeholders;
- Manage the collection of schedule data from subcontractors for assigned projects;
- Management of Problem Identification Reports.
- Identification and implementation of site service requirements for assigned projects
This role is best suited to a supervisor with project management experience that is looking for their next challenge in Project Management.
- Project management qualification or equivalent experience
- Project Management and supervision experience
- Knowledge of accounting and purchasing/ process/ systems (SAP or other similar systems)
- Strong commitment to developing and maintaining a safe working environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Word and Excel
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently to meet multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and maintain morale of subordinates
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Degree or Diploma in Engineering or Trade background and experience to equivalent
Essential Compliance Requirements
- MUST be an Australian Citizen
- Must either hold, or be eligible to obtain an Australian Defence Security Clearance
- Construction Induction Card (White Card)