|Job Type:||Full Time|
About the opportunity
Do you want to work with people who can inspire you with their passion, share their ideas and provide you with first class on-the-job training? As an Alcoa apprentice you have an opportunity to combine hands on experience with theoretical knowledge, learning from those who value the importance of quality workmanship and maintaining a safe work environment.
We encourage and support you to participate in diverse work practises daily while working within a collaborative team contributing to our inclusive culture.
As a company we know diversity makes us stronger. For over 17 years Alcoa has been named an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality. Alcoa proudly champions a Women in Operations (WIO) program, encouraging hard-working women to take opportunities and develop exciting careers. We always strive to do more! We value our employees and their opinions.
Your training at Alcoa will give you a competitive edge in the job market, leading to a nationally recognised trade certificate that could take you anywhere! All of this whilst working for a company with an outstanding safety performance that has a strong focus towards creating environmental sustainability in every way possible.
As part of this four-year Apprenticeship Program that will commence in early January 2021, you will be:
- Working in either the main workshop, or refinery environment
- Involved in the repair, diagnosis, service and maintenance of components of fixed plant mechanical equipment.
- Learning how to identify mechanical components, evaluate parts for re-use or replacement and operate close measurement tolerances on such items as shafts, pulleys, gearbox and pump parts.
- Trained in laser alignment as well as learn how to use precision measuring tools, work from technical drawings and sketches that will help you operate close measurement tolerances.
- Engaged in the overhaul of centrifugal pumps, vacuum pumps, worm and helical reduction gear boxes, bevel gears drives, hydraulic pumps and rams, pneumatic tools, rail bogeys and Alcoa control valves.
- Trained in the safe operation of various types of machine tools, including centre lathes, grinding and milling machines, horizontal and vertical boring machines and a computerised N.C. lathe.
We want individuals who are passionate about how engines and mechanical components operate and want to learn more. We seek proactive candidates with a positive desire to search for opportunities to improve their skills and knowledge. Do you enjoy problem solving and fault finding? An apprenticeship with Alcoa can kick start your career; but your attitude is everything. Show us what you’re capable of, be driven to optimise your learning potential and you will achieve a career with endless opportunities.
We are interested in hearing from a diverse range of applicants who have:
- A high dedication and focus towards safety.
- A good academic record with a proven interest in heavy-duty equipment or mechanical fitting.
- Been involved in any related extracurricular activities or have gained relevant knowledge in that field.
- A current, valid Australian ‘Learners’ Drivers Licence or working towards.
To be eligible for an Alcoa Apprenticeship you must have completed year 10 at a minimum with a high pass in Mathematics and English combined with a good attendance record. Additionally, completion of a pre-apprenticeship and/or work experience relevant to the trade you are applying for will be considered highly desirable.
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
How to apply:
- Click ‘Apply’ and create a Workday account using a current email address.
In the ‘Quick Apply’ section please upload your most recent school grade report where it requests to upload your CV (this applies to current students or those that finished school in the last three years). Without this additional supporting documentation, your application will NOT be accepted.
- Under the ‘My Experience’ section under Resume / CV heading, you have the option to upload your CV or any other additional documents that will compliment your application.
- Please note, for any current students or recent school leavers it is essential that your school grade report is attached for your application to be considered.
Monday 27 July 2020
About where you will work
We have several roles available across our Alumina Refining operations; these include Alcoa’s Pinjarra, Kwinana and Wagerup Alumina Refineries, all based approximately 100 kilometres south of Perth CBD and around a 30-45 minute drive from the City of Mandurah where apprentices will be required to travel to and from site each working day.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa of Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,000 people in Western Australia and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 18 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 56 years. More than 65 per cent of Alcoa’s Australian annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.