|Job Type:||Full Time|
Head of Operational Risk
It’s an exciting time here at ING and we are looking for a Head of Operational Risk, Based in Sydney, to take our talented team to the next level. Responsible for the overall development, embedding and management of operational risk across ING Australia, you oversee risk areas such as Financial Crime, Control Risk, Information Risk and BCP functions (including Physical and Personal Security and Crisis Management).
Leading a brilliant team of 12 staff and building on a solid foundation, you will insure we effectively implement and manage all facets of the operational risk framework through implementation, ongoing review and enhancement. We need someone who can further embed a culture of risk management and ownership throughout ING Australia so that the organisation operates within its own risk appetite and holds sufficient capital for its operational risks.
Furthermore, we are looking for someone who’s not afraid to experiment with new approaches and look for a more data driven approach within Operational Risk Management, in line with the direction of the organization.
There will also be a number of challenging and important risk projects and programs of change that you will play a key role in leading, as we continue to grow and succeed as a function.
What are you going to do?
- Influence, manage and empower your teams to take accountability and responsibility for identification, management and monitoring of operational risks whilst providing frameworks and expertise to ensure risks are managed within appetite.
- Ensure local operational, information & security risk governance frameworks are in compliance with APRA prudential requirements, as well as ING Group Corporate / Head Office ORM policies and standards.
- Conduct reviews of business processes, identify risks/weaknesses, negotiate risk mitigation strategies with stakeholders and agree action plans within risk appetite.
- Implement and operate the capabilities to qualify for Advanced Measurement Approach (AMA) under Basel II and meet Basel II use test requirements for Group purpose
- Lead and support the team’s development by coaching, mentoring and managing performance.
- Increase the profile of the team as respected subject matter experts and business partners.
- Develop effective relationships with key stakeholders including EXCO/Snr Management, ING Group, RBI, consultants and APRA
- Ensure that our business units are able to take ownership of operational risk whilst still engaging Operational Risk Management in the capacities defined under the 1st and 2nd line of defence models.
- Participate in adhoc projects as determined by EXCO and/or CRO either as a representative of ORM or as a senior leader of IBAL
- Building effective relationships with business stakeholders, ING Group risk management colleagues, external peers & regulators and managing dependencies between competing priorities.
- Keep abreast of industry threats, trends and issues, ensuring that ING’s risk management frameworks are in line with industry and international best practice.
- Experiment with new approaches to identify, measure and report operational risks that are more heavily based on data, models and automation.
What are we looking for? Someone with …
- 10+ years’ experience in operational risk, with some of this spent in relevant leadership roles
- A proven ability to develop an Operational Risk business unit, within a large Banking or Financial Services organisation.
- A practical understanding of the business drivers and the strategic direction of our Bank and role of risk management in achieving objectives
- Experience in managing large teams
- Awareness of current industry threats, trends, technologies and issues that potentially affect the Bank's business
- Sound knowledge of retail and commercial banking products and distribution channels
- Ability to negotiate with all levels of management to influence decisions, make recommendations and implement change
- Ability to identify and pursue solutions to manage operational risks
- Relevant qualifications in commerce, finance or business + Operational risk management certifications
- Sound understanding of prudential compliance requirements of an ADI including APS 114, 115, 231, 232 and SOX and understanding of regulatory contact processes
- An open mind set to change and a constant drive to improve yourself and your team
At ING, we want to make life simpler and more worthwhile – for everyone who banks with us, for the people who work with us, and the community at large, too.
When you come to work at ING, you’re joining a team where individuality isn’t just accepted, it’s encouraged. We’ve built a culture that’s fun, friendly and supportive – it’s the kind of place where you can be yourself and make the most of whatever you have to offer.
We give people the freedom to take risks, think differently, take ownership of their work, and make great things happen. We’re here to help you get ahead. And with our global network, there’s plenty of scope to take your career in new directions, perhaps even ones you’ve never considered.
People of all ages, sexual orientations, cultures and backgrounds are welcome to apply – likewise if you’re an indigenous Australian, or you’re living with a disability, or you have family or caring responsibilities.
Sound like the kind of place you’d feel at home? We’d love to hear from you.