Last updated 1 hours ago
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Xero's 'Business Products' offers several products that support small businesses. Xero Expenses aims to support small businesses to manage their employees business related spending, by making it fast and easy.
In this Technical Lead role, you will be working across a product team delivering customer value in an API first manner, with web and mobile experiences. If your career aspirations are towards growing into a principal engineer or architecture role then this is the perfect opportunity to take a decisive step in that direction.
What you'll be doing
This is a hands on role and your responsibilities will include supporting your engineering manager in driving improved engineering practices, and working with the dev team, architecture and product in the delivery of the customer initiatives of Xero.
The Technical Lead isn't a people manager role, but it is very hands-on. You will work closely with engineers across a number of Pods in order to solve interesting and challenging delivery problems that cross multiple product boundaries.
You’ll provide a shining light of engineering excellence and leadership that other engineers aspire to and want to emulate. You will be responsible for supporting, guiding and mentoring our engineers on a technical level. Contributing to the development of engineering as a practice across Business Products by producing best practices and sharing these with the broader team.
The engineers in the teams around you will grow in capability and confidence by working with you.
What success looks like
- You connect and align your team with the relevant product and engineering strategy that you help define
- Your team drives decisions using data and experimentation to deliver value
- You proactively grow each pod's technical capability through coaching and mentoring of the engineers within your team
- You build strong relationships across engineering, product and design to translate future architecture into a technical vision and roadmap that you iterate towards over time
- You are a champion for a sustainable and resilient platform
- You create a safe and trusting environment
What we’re looking for?
- Experience with some of Xero Expenses technologies - C#, postgresql, node, React, Swift and Kotlin
- A strong team player who is highly skilled in collaborating with others to find solutions
- An excellent communicator, who can fill the gaps between technical and non-technical specialists
- Proven track record of delivering complex technical solutions that span and integrate across multiple systems
- Experience across one or more of; public and private API design and implementation, web application architecture and development on modern cloud based infrastructure and services
- Proven track record supporting systems in production
- Someone who is passionate about leaving the codebase and other engineers on the team better than you found them!
Xero is an inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. Where creativity, innovation and continuous learning are encouraged and celebrated. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe or a workplace which understands your family, sport or a side gig is the priority or something in between - Xero can be all of that and more.
At Xero, we trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your desire for learning with training and career mentorship to help you flourish. As part of our awesome package, you’ll receive Xero shares and a Life Insurance package as well as a variety of other perks to make your time here that much more fun. Our facilities and PX teams work hard to give us great workspaces with all the tech company perks, so join us and experience our new Auckland offices!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.