|Job Type:||Full Time|
- Develop real-world applications based on CSIRO IP for major international clients.
- Lead Projects and be a suitable mentor for junior members of the CSEV team.
- Build upon the CSEV team’s software framework, for deployment both inside and outside of CSIRO.
The successful applicant will join the Computational Software Engineering and Visualisation Team (CSEV) within Data61 at CSIRO as a Senior Software Engineer. Be part of a multi-disciplinary team of software engineers and scientists producing advanced scientific software and end-user interfaces for real-world applications. To support the development of such applications, the CSEV Team develops world-leading scientific and application development frameworks for use both inside and outside CSIRO. One such framework is Workspace, Workspace is a cross-platform framework designed to enhance productivity, enable collaboration and software reuse, and to facilitate the distribution and commercialisation of software products. At senior levels such as this, Research Projects staff are involved in providing project leadership, science management, staff development, and/or industry liaison.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing commercial-quality applications using our frameworks in support of CSIRO and other Research & Development organisations. You will be adept in the use of state of the art software development processes and systems and will have a professional and proactive view of their software engineering career. Lead Projects and be a suitable mentor for junior members of the CSEV team.
- Development of commercial-quality software using C++ for delivery to external commercial clients.
- Building upon our software framework, for deployment both inside and outside of CSIRO.
- Contributing to the code base on a daily basis.
- Mentoring and developing junior team members.
- Compiling, executing, profiling and debugging code on multiple platforms (including Windows, Linux and Mac).
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: * CSOF5 AU$98k – AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
* CSOF6 AU$113K - AU$132K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 18 months
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
- A tertiary qualification in software engineering, computer science, or similar or equivalent commercial experience.
- Commercial software engineering experience writing C++ software applications, with a strong customer focus and a proven capacity to deliver. An understanding of object-oriented programming, object-oriented class libraries and C++ templates.
- Demonstrated experience working in a test-driven, agile development or continuous integration environment.
- Experience with the following types of software engineering processes and tools: source code repositories (i.e. Git/SVN/TFS), work item tracking (i.e. JIRA/TFS), GUI libraries (such as Qt), cross-platform development tools and environments (such as CMake).
- The ability to work proactively and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously to meet Project deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of process improvement.
For an appointment at the higher (CSOF6) salary level, as well as satisfying the Essential Criteria listed above, you must also have:
- Experience managing a team delivering commercial-quality software to external customers
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop junior team members
- Superior communications and persuasion abilities when dealing with peers and customers
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Open until filled