Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Temporary Flexible full-time
Tenure Period:ongoing relief various periods
Possibility of Extension:Yes
$2,828.92 - $3,357.14 per fortnight
Emergency Management &Volunteerism & Community Resilience
RFS - NORTHERN
RFS - TOWNSVILLE
Current QFES and IGEM employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As an emergency service agency, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is responsible for ensuring the safety of people and property across Queensland through the provision of effective prevention, preparation, response and recovery activities across a range of emergency situations.
Comprising the Fire and Rescue Service, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
The position of Brigade Training and Support Officer is responsible for delivering training and support to volunteer members across the Area.
- Eligible to apply for, or hold a current Blue Card.
- Ability to obtain Certificate IV in Training and Assessment within the first year of employment
- Minimum C Class Driver’s licence (non-restricted)
- Internal applicants must provide evidence that they are eligible for appointment in accordance with the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Employee Award – State 2016.
- External applicants must have suitable contemporary fire and organisational management experience within an emergency service or fire management agency to the satisfaction of the Commissioner QFES.
Highly desirable requirements
- Knowledge of the concepts, strategies and issues associated with providing support to volunteer rural fire brigades both in day-to-day activities and during operational incidents.
- Demonstrated ability to co-ordinate and conduct training and development activities across an Area / Region that provide volunteers with opportunities to develop to their full potential.
- Ability to support a diverse workforce, advancing the diversity agenda in employment and service delivery, thereby improving workforce morale and developing the effectiveness of operational teams.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills for the management and resolution of brigade and volunteer related issues at a local level.
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in providing frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Contribute to the ongoing development of successful partnerships through the ability to consult and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders, including volunteers.
- Ensure the successful management and resolution of brigade and volunteer related issues, through the proven ability to set priorities, work under pressure and achieve deadlines both as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Provide support and guidance to volunteers / brigades particularly with the development of fire management and response plans, volunteer training programs and schedules as well as day-to-day activities.
- Provide assistance in ensuring that all QFES and government legislative, policy and procedural requirements appropriate to the position including training and Registered Training Organisation responsibilities are applied.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual contributor (leading self)
- Leads strategically
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Leads change in complex environments
- Makes insightful decisions
- Develops and mobilises talent
- Builds enduring relationships
- Inspires others
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Pursues continuous growth
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Tony Hazell, Regional Manager, RFS Northern Region on phone 0438750623 or email Tony.Hazell@qfes.qld.gov.au.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Expression of Interest Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.
To apply for this role, please provide your resume or CV and a one A4 page summary telling us what you will bring to this role in the context of 'Your Key Accountabilities' contained within the role description.