|Location:||Remote - AU/NZ only|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about the Cloud, Microsoft Data Platform & its potential for transformation? Are you excited about the future of Microsoft's Data Platform and Enterprise Cloud Services business? Are you interested in driving global impact through landing mission critical applications run on SQL Platform, unblocking/accelerating complex data migrations? Do you want to be a part of an Elite team that makes Microsoft Azure and SQL Data Platform the global standard for business and technical excellence? If so, then the Senior Engineering Architect role within the Azure Data-DM Jumpstart team of Azure Data SQL Engineering may be the right place for you!
Come join us as an Senior Engineering Architect and be part of an elite global team that is front and center helping our Tier 1 Customers drive customer's digital transformation. We work alongside with Customers, Partners and Microsoft’s various field, sales and engineering teams to assist with their customer opportunities to white-glove complex and strategic greenfield SQL implementations along with data workload migrations/modernizations. Focus is to drive migrations to SQL and Azure Data Platform from homogenous sources like SQL, and Compete sources like Oracle, DB2, Teradata, Netezza, Sybase, etc.
You will own the ISV onboarding, contribute to SQL and SQL Azure design, implementation and optimization of customer and partner developed applications. Bringing product truth back and increase codifications from these engagements will be another key aspect of this role.
This role might require ~50% travel. The ideal candidate will have experience in a customer facing role at a leadership level and had success leading technical and economic value discussions with senior customer executives, driving decisions and implementation. The successful candidate for this role will have a balance of technical acumen and business development/sales acumen. The engineering architects in our team are highly visible within Microsoft Wide Product Groups and Customer organizations and are expected to lead from the front.
The role requires you to have hands-on deep proficiency with SQL, SQL VM, SQL DB/MI. A deep understanding of SQL Engine, Analytics and Reporting Services would be must. Good to have breadth experience with other Azure Data Services such as OSS DB engines (i.e. COSMOS DB, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Maria DB) or HDInsight/DataBricks or Azure DW.
You will be responsible for:
- Interfacing with both the generalist and specialist solution architects (MS internal and Customer) to mentor and evangelize Azure Data services.
- Promote and position yourself as Azure Data Services, SQL and Migration subject matter expert.
- Executing limited POCs and Pilots.
- Reporting to customer as business objectives / business value conditions are met
- Documenting and sharing technical best practices / insights with engineering and the architect community
- Assist with migration labs from engineering support perspective.
- Bring the feature gaps and new feature requests back to product group engineering.
- Participate and contribute to key engineering activities like telemetry reviews, code and design specification review.
- Work closely with feature PMs and Software engineers
- Pre-Sales Solution Architecture Consultation.
- Support migration delivery projects for data tier.
- Working with both Partner/Customer and Microsoft account teams of the high potential accounts
- Advise pre-sales & technical teams on best practice architectures for customer facing solutions. This can be both a proactive activity where you build a plan to pursue a specific technical scenario or it can be a reactive response to a customer need or request for proposal.
- Executing quick technical feasibility and proposal development for moving identified workloads to Azure Data Platform.
- Building a technical and security architecture in Azure Data Platform for the selected workloads
- Need to have 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Must have hands-on deep proficiency with SQL, SQL VM, SQL DB/MI.
- A deep understanding of SQL Engine, Analytics and Reporting Services would be must.
- Good to have breadth experience with other Azure Data Services such as OSS DB engines (i.e. Cosmos DB, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Maria DB) or HDInsight/DataBricks or Azure DW.
- Fluent knowledge of how customers assess, purchase and manage the public cloud solutions
- Conversant knowledge of AWS, Google, IBM Data and cloud services
- Deep understanding of cloud computing technologies, business drivers, and emerging computing trends
- Proven track record of building technical and business relationships with senior executives and growing wallet share in large or highly strategic accounts
- Proven track record of driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts and ensuring follow through
- Problem-solving mentality leveraging internal and/or external resources, where and when needed, to do what’s right for the customer, partner and for the organization (i.e. think through workarounds, evaluate risk of various deployment options, etc.)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- Ability to connect technology with measurable business value
- Demonstrated technical thought leadership in customer facing situations
- Bachelor’s Degree or Higher in computer science, Information Technology, or related field required
- Certifications in SQL or Azure data platform preferred
- Certifications in domain-specific technologies preferred
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.