|Job Type:||Full Time|
This role plays a critical function in our product team. Providing leadership and guidance to a core team responsible for release engineering, tooling and infrastructure. The person in this role is a leader in our group who helps nurture our culture of continuous delivery. The role of the Development Operations Manager is to build capability into our teams that undertake software application development of new or improved features in Xero’s products and its associated service delivery systems.
- Help drive the business portfolio engineering group towards a modern DevOps culture where pods are responsible for their working software in production, including infrastructure, pipelines and on call. In this model the DevOps team are expert consultants who provide advice, guidance and tooling on infrastructure and release engineering.
- You will be responsible for the backlog of the Delivery Engineering team as well as the Operational Strategy. As such you manage the backlog of the Delivery Engineering team, work closely with development managers to identify the needs of their teams.
- You will facilitate regular reviews of production operational metrics and help the GM of Engineering to hold Engineering and Product Managers accountable for the production performance of their systems.
- Build relationships with our Technology colleagues, who are always finding new and better ways for our teams to deliver software to our customers.
- You will look after the Delivery Engineering team, as well as the growth of capability in our operational experts. This includes attracting, engaging and retaining our talent across various geo-locations (Melbourne and Wellington primarily).
- Work with your team to get them to own and drive their personal development, as well as how they perform their work.
- Your technical acumen means you can coach your team and the engineering teams towards best practices, in particular relating to AWS and continuous delivery.
- Facilitate the Delivery Engineering team engineering process. Ensure the team is on track and working in a lean, efficient manner. This likely includes attending stand ups and running retrospectives and planning sessions.
- Your team develops robust, high quality software to be consumed on a massive scale under your guidance.
- You will work closely with team members to ensure a high standard of quality and testing throughout the development cycle.
- You ensure you have a good understanding of current technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships both within the engineering team and the wider organization.
Ideally you have some or all of the following skills and capabilities and a willingness to grow them further:
- Ability to lead, mentor and develop a team
- Ability to manage sensitive people matters with discretion and professionalism
- A love of modern software development practices and quality
- Excellent communication and networking skills - ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Able to take initiative combined with commitment to continuous improvement and quality.
- Experience leading lean software development teams.
- Experience developing software in AWS or comparable Cloud Platform, CI/CD pipelines, automation, and managing production infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of multiple programming languages
Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and change are not only inspired but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.