|Job Type:||Full Time|
Google Australia Pty LTD.
Opening Date: 13th February 2020
Closing Date: 14th March 2020
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field involving systems engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience working with Unix/Linux operating systems internals and administration and networking (e.g. TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and hardware).
- Experience in one of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, Ruby or shell scripting.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with excellent communication skills.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
On the SRE team, you’ll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
To learn more: check out our books on Site Reliability Engineering, watch a recorded Hangout on Air to meet some of our SREs, or read a career profile about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services from inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation; evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.