South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
GEMCO is one of the world's largest manganese mining and concentrating operations located on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory, accounting for over 20% of the worlds' manganese ore production. GEMCO controls and operates all aspects of mining, processing, logistics and shipping on Groote Eylandt.
About the role
The purpose of this role is to ensure the up keep of the Quality Management (Quality Control and Quality Assurance) process and to ensure that the laboratory and sampling systems complies with ISO/IEC 17025 and other relevant standards (maintenance of the NATA certification).
This is offered as a 6 month fixed term opportunity.
Other accountabilities include:
- Provide technical support to the laboratory operators and supervisor
- Maintenance and repair of the laboratory, sample preparation, and sampling equipment
- Sampling, preparation and analysis
- Undertake investigative and method development work
- Ensure that all laboratory procedures, SWI’s etc. are up to date and relevant to current work practices
- Provide coverage for laboratory personnel which will require occasional shift work
GEMCO is a one hour flight from Darwin and a one hour 20 minute flight from Cairns. GEMCO's facilities include an indoor gym, beachside workout area, swimming pool, golf course, tennis and squash courts, sports oval and scenic walking track.
- Tertiary qualifications in chemistry or a relevant field
- Relevant experience in a chemical testing laboratory, understanding of NATA
- Previous exposure to the mining and minerals processing industries is preferable
- Focus on health, safety and the environment and ability to identify hazards and risks
- Improvement focused
- Competitive salaries reflective of your experience and skills
- 7 days on 7 days off FIFO from Cairns or Darwin
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Closing date 26 February 2020.