|Job Type:||Full Time|
About the opportunity
An opportunity has arisen to join our Global Impoundments team for someone who is passionate about delivering governance and technical assurance for Impoundments. Impoundments cover our Bauxite Mining Tailings, Bauxite Residue from our refining processes, and process water dams. Supporting our global locations, this high-profile and critical role will influence varied levels of the business at both Board, Executive and location levels to build upon the safety and compliance of our operations in line with Alcoa’s standards and local country laws.
As a technical authority across Impoundments, you will facilitate effective communication and engagement in supporting the overall strategies for impoundments across Australia, Brazil, Europe, USA and Canada within our 3 core functions of Mining, Refining and Smelting.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Meeting company expectations on safety, environmental, cost control, equipment maintenance and reliability, production and quality parameters.
- Ensuring best practice procedures are developed and implemented globally.
- Assisting in developing and maintaining our technical and governance standards including alignment to external international standards.
- Technical governance and auditing.
- Leading a small team of technical experts, influencing technical and location management.
- Impoundment 25-year Master Planning including improving capital efficiencies.
- Performance monitoring.
- Technology identification and implementation.
- Manage the impoundment inventory database and risk ratings providing risk identification, risk controls, control verification and hazard classification.
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success we require the following:
- Ability to demonstrate a strong commitment to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) values
- Engineering degree in civil or geotechnical engineering. A Master's degree or PHD would be considered favourably in this area.
- Strong geotechnical and tailings background
- A high level of technical knowledge regarding impoundments (residue, tailings, dams etc)
- Strong understanding of global governance standards
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders to build engagement and understanding at all levels
If this sparks your interest get in touch for an initial conversation!
About where you will work
Australia’s Impoundments team is located at our Kwinana Residue site, 40 kilometres south of Perth. Alcoa is a major employer in the area with approximately 850 employees. An estimated 48% employees live in the neighbouring communities of Kwinana, Cockburn and Rockingham.
The Preferred location is Perth based but there is some flexibility due to the global nature of this role, so we encourage international applicants to apply.
Travel will be required to visit our global impoundment locations – circa 6-8 weeks per year.
Friday 6th March
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa in Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities-aus
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,000 people in Western Australia and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 17 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 56 years. More than 65 per cent of Alcoa’s Australian annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.