|Job Type:||Full Time|
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in software engineering, including experience with web services or mobile client software.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Advanced degree, or experience in engineering, computer science, or other technical field.
- Track record of technical innovation and leading a team of software engineers.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages.
- Ability to set and drive the “big picture” strategy while providing technical guidance to the team, enabling them to execute effectively and deliver products on time and within budget.
- Ability to recruit and develop technical talent and inspire and motivate the engineering team to work together as a cohesive and highly productive unit.
- Passion for technology and technical depth to uncover root causes of technical problems.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
We strive to organize the world's information to make it universally accessible and useful, but we know that relevance means something different to each person. The Social team recognizes that great information is more than pages -- it's also about relationships. We want all of Google's products to reflect something personal, and we're dedicated to making your Google experience centered around you.
- Manage and grow a team of software engineers, including iteration and task planning. Work closely with other engineering teams to reuse and understand existing frameworks.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment. Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Partner closely with Product Management to create, drive and deliver innovative, compelling and user-friendly products.
- Inspire computer science teams to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a commercial, mission-critical environment.
- Develop and grow engineering talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning and retention strategies in a fast growth, highly competitive economic environment.