|Job Type:||Full Time|
We've come a long way in 65 years of operation in Australia. On top of a strong underlying business, having been selected to deliver the next generation of advanced anti-submarine warships, the JORN Phase 6 radar upgrade and sustainment program and as the tier 1 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program partner, the future is bright for our more than 3,500 employees.
In terms of our culture, it's inclusive and safety focused. We call it an ‘everyone culture'. For us that means ensuring that the voices and talents of every employee are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. It also means providing a family friendly, flexible and supportive place to work.
We are excited to invite applications for a Photonics Technician – Diamond Turning to join our Integrated Systems team situated at our Edinburgh Parks, South Australia location. The Photonics Technician will be responsible for the set-up, programming/ editing and operation of ultra-precision Diamond Turning machines, preparing tooling and setups, and measuring diamond turned components. You will work closely with the engineering function and other optical manufacturing technicians.
In terms of more specific responsibilities, you will:
- Set up and operate CNC Diamond Turning machine to manufacture optical lenses, mirrors and ultra-precision machined components
- Follow production processes and parameters for different component designs and materials e.g. aluminum, germanium, silicon & zinc selenide
- Manufacture fixtures to perform diamond turning of complex precision optical components i.e. Plano, Aspheric and Spherical
- Specify appropriate diamond turning tool for process
- Perform machine adjustment and program parameter changes to maintain component tolerance
- Manufacture tooling as required using manual and or CNC lathes, mills and surface grinder
- Conduct optical metrology, i.e. profilometer, collimator, interferometer, holographic null, 3D optical profiler for in process work and final inspection
- Read and interpret customer drawings/specifications
- Keep work area clean and organized
- Be able to follow direction with minimal supervision
As the ideal applicant you will have:
- Substantial post qualification experience in CNC Machining
- Proficiency in computers
- Intermediate math's skills with the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, angle and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and descriptive geometry
- Trade qualifications in precision/CNC machining
- Knowledge of aspheric measurement and testing methods using interferometers
- Experience using CAD/CAM software is preferred
- The ability to use a variety of measurement and inspection devices within diamond turning department including interferometers, profilometers and mechanical gauges to verify spheres, aspheric, flat or other opto-mechanical components
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lean into and adjust machinery while standing and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 kilograms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Applications should be addressed to: Shane Blogg, Talent Acquisition Specialist - Trades.
Please ensure you attach a current resume and copy of your relevant qualification(s) to your application. A cover letter is preferred.
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders for these opportunities. An inclusive culture and an exciting, supportive career opportunity awaits. We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://tinyurl.com/Work180BAE-Systems-Australia
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
BAE Systems Australia will never request money from you during the recruitment process. Please be aware of scam messages asking for money for an administration fee, visa or similar. If you receive such a message please report it to Scam Watch www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.
Job applications should only be submitted via the BAE Systems Australia website and not via email. If you receive an email from BAE Systems that does not utilise “@baesystems.com” as the domain, it is not legitimate. BAE Systems does not use gmail, aol, Hotmail or similar accounts.