|Location:||Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you want to work in a company that is transforming the world? How about working on some of the most challenging commercial and regulatory issues around Asia, such as cloud computing, the ethics of big data and AI? If so, Microsoft’s Corporate, External and Legal Affairs Department (CELA) has an immediate opening for a commercial lawyer to do just that. The successful candidate will have experience working on technology commercial transactions and a passion for working in today’s rapidly changing technology environment.
The position will be based in Australia – Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney – but will require travel throughout Asia as the team supports commercial negotiations across the region. The successful candidate will report to the Sydney-based Director of CELA for Australia-New Zealand. They will collaborate closely with other members supporting Microsoft Asia.
- Work with other team members to draft, negotiate and advise business clients regarding complex cloud computing deals and strategic alliances with major commercial customers in Australia and New Zealand, and across Asia, including large financial, banking and healthcare institutions
- Draft, negotiate and advise business clients regarding complex cloud computing, software licensing, consulting services, IP, product support, teaming, and other agreements with customers and partners
- Localize and develop model standard agreements and clauses for future deals
- Manage and coordinate legal matters handled by external counsel
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on rapidly changing privacy and security regulatory issues impacting Microsoft products and services
- Engage with colleagues in regional commercial, corporate commercial and products and services groups to identify and share best practices, and contribute to the broader internal legal community
- Law degree from accredited law school in Australia or New Zealand, and with excellent academic credentials
- Legal admission in good standing in either Australia or New Zealand
- At least 5 years of experience as a transactional lawyer in-house and/or at a law firm with experience in cloud computing, software hosting, systems integration, or other complex services engagements, especially those involving software and other intellectual property
- Strong analytical and drafting skills
- Perfect command of spoken and written English
- Strong pan-Asian experience in negotiating information technology agreements with large enterprise commercial and/or government entities
- Practical experience advising on data protection issues and privacy laws in Australia and/or New Zealand, as well as Asia more broadly
- Strong track record advising businesses on IP issues and managing IT services transactions
- Understanding of cloud software security issues
Desired personal attributes
- Highly motivated self-starter with demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced sales environment with minimal supervision
- Team player who enjoys partnering with cross-functional teams to solve complex issues in a highly matrixed, constantly changing environment
- Service-oriented individual who addresses business requests for legal advice promptly and crisply
- Demonstrates sound judgment in ambiguous situations
- Understands business issues and has a pragmatic, commercial orientation
- Inquisitive and curious – excited by the prospect of pan-Asian travel to tackle completely new legal and commercial issues
- Possesses impeccable oral and written communication skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.