|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Business & Accounting Consultant
Fixed term contract
Welcome to This Australian Life.
From the millions of Australians we protect, to those that make it happen every day at TAL, people really are what we’re all about.
TAL needs people who represent our diverse Australian community. People who embrace our spirit and inspire confidence in their colleagues, customers and community. People who are passionate about making the most of the choices and options we provide. People who do what’s right, aim high, and work smart.
About the Opportunity
This role is a key subject matter expert supporting the Financial Control Team. Utilising expert finance and project management skills, this role has 3 key focus areas :
- Provision of financial insights and advice to business teams, reinsurance, actuarial and tax,
- Assurance of the completeness and accuracy of the General Ledger, delivering through others in the team, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Re-design of processes and controls to ensure best practice and adherence to required statutory requirements and business goals,
In this role some of your responsibilities will be the following:
- Manage the month end General ledger close process, coordinate all stakeholders, ensure a smooth and efficient month end close; identify and mitigate risks to delivery
- Have a deep understanding of the TAL and ALSL portfolios, provide financial analysis, advice and insights to Senior Finance Manager to ensure a complete and accurate balance sheet position
- Collaborate with other business teams, primarily the Actuarial & Financial Management teams, to manage the group’s financial risks
- Provide decision support to the business, offering insights to assist in sound decision making
- Identify problems related to business activity; develop, influence adoption of, and manage the implementation of, appropriate solutions, collaborating as required to deliver
- Undertake General Ledger control activities to ensure ledger integrity (such as review and approval of monthly journals)
- Continuously assess for opportunities to make recommendations for improvement in line with best practice, statutory requirements and business goals.
- Continuously re-assess identified risks and the emergence of new risks, and provide advice to Senior Finance Manager on how to mitigate these risks
- Facilitate delivery of outcomes through own and other teams, as required
- Provide oversight of work performed by more junior members in the team, provide ongoing coaching and training
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree qualification in accounting / commerce (Essential)
- Relevant experience in a range of Financial Reporting and project related roles, preferably within a financial services environment
- Experience with re-designing processes and controls, process simplification and automation (Essential)
- Ability to analyse and communicate financial information, life insurance experience preferred
- Demonstrable understanding of financial accounting, how General Ledgers operate, and processes involved in accounting operations
- Experience in project management including end user testing for new applications (desirable)
- Experience in driving outcomes, identifying requirements, issues and planning solutions (working with various teams: business teams, technology, actuarial, finance, claims, operations)
- Excellent excel skills, experience with macros highly desirable
- Proven ability to manage senior stakeholders and work autonomously
- Proven ability to initiate and manage change
- Excellent problem-solving ability, analytical skills and ability to deliver to tight timeframes
Work is a big part of this Australian life, and we work hard to make it one of the best parts. We want our employees to work in ways that suits their life and the nature of their role, so they feel able to meet their work life commitments and support their wellbeing. Everyone’s welcome to work for us – regardless of their age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status or any disabilities they might be living with.
We know it’s the people we work with and experiences we share that make work meaningful and fulfilling, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
You don’t have to be an artist, adventurer, doer or dreamer, but it really helps.
If you would like to apply or refer a friend please click on the relevant button below and follow the instructions.