|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Quantum has assembled a talented and diverse international team to create the world’s first scalable quantum computing system. Our full-stack approach involves exciting innovation from the physics at the quantum plane to providing global quantum services. The Microsoft Quantum program strives to fundamentally change the world of computing in order to help solve humankind’s currently unsolvable problems. We are on the cusp of an accelerated effort in quantum computing. This position offers an opportunity to have a meaningful influence on a revolutionary technology. The research effort includes a diverse staff of theoretical and experimental physicists, hardware designers and software engineers around the world. Our Sydney lab, based at the University of Sydney, is looking for an experienced Senior Fabrication Engineer o bring life to new research and be a leader in the field of quantum computing.
This role involves deep, hands-on technical work in a small, collaborative, environment. We are looking for someone who is as passionate about their own contribution as they are empowering and inspiring others. This person will be responsible for contributing to the technical direction of the research based on experimental results, program needs and the input from cross-functional colleagues.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop fabrication processes for etch and deposition of niobium and other related materials.
- Qualify and maintain infrastructure including chemical vapor deposition (CVD) systems, reactive ion etch tools (RIE) and chemical mechanical polishing systems (CMP).
- Interface with lithography specialists to define end-to-end fabrication process flow for complex superconductor and semiconductor devices and systems.
- Communicate with the broader team at Quantum Sydney around fabrication strategy and manage vendors / contractors to develop fabrication solutions for quantum computing and its control systems.
- A degree in electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering, or physics / chemistry.
- At least 2 years of experience in process development / device fabrication
- Experience with working in semiconductor fabrication cleanroom environments
- Some knowledge of superconducting materials and their specific fabrication challenges
- Some knowledge of dielectric materials and their role in fabricating low-loss microwave devices
- Some experience in fabrication tool maintenance (familiarity with electrical, vacuum, mechanical systems)
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
MICROSOFT BACKGROUND CHECK:
This position will be required to pass the Microsoft background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.