|Job Type:||Full Time|
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Software Developer IoT/Edge/Distributed Computing in Melbourne
- Offered on a permanent regular employment basis or on a fixed term 24 months basis
- Work in one of IBM’s 12 Elite Global Research Labs
- Position located in beautiful Melbourne, Australia
From landing the first astronauts on the moon to building the first cognitive system to win Jeopardy! IBM with its diverse culture, continues to be the innovative spark of the computing revolutions that shape our world. At the core of IBM’s innovation are its 12 global research labs. IBM Research Australia is a young, proud and diverse community working on industry solutions, conceiving, designing and building next generation enterprise systems.
IBM Research – Australia in Melbourne has a strong track record of research in the area of IoT/Edge and seeks to develop a peer-to-peer environment in which Edge devices can share resources in an autonomous and secure manner. The topic is highly multi-disciplinary and combines distributed computing with machine learning and load balancing. The group strives to do novel research while at the same time developing deployable assets and patenting ideas along the way. The role requires adaptability to other projects in the lab, which include natural language processing and image/pattern recognition.
What will I be doing?
- Work with a team of established researchers and software engineers to develop state of the art technologies in the field of IoT and Edge devices – with a focus on peer-to-peer device interaction and distributed computing
- Multidisciplinary topic combining pure research with asset development and real world application with clients
- Expected to work with researchers and co-develop software assets deployed on a range of devices to allow autonomous and cooperative behaviours
- Work with heterogenous compute environments consisting of everything from small devices, Raspberry Pi’s, laptops, and cloud servers
What skills will I need?
- Distributed computing, networking, transport layers
- Strong python skills
- Experience with Realtime systems and machine learning
- Hands-on experience with Edge devices and Raspberry Pi
- Team code development with GitHub
- Experience with Go is preferred
- Experience with Natural Language Processing is desirable
- Experience with deep learning is desirable
What experience do I need?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT or related technical field
- Demonstrated experience with IoT/Edge devices
- Demonstrated experience with containers and orchestration
- Experience in UI design and interactive visualization is desirable
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Sign me up!
If you tick these boxes, and are ready to start your next challenge with a career at IBM – click “Apply” today. To find out more, head to www.ibm.com.au/careers
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- As Above
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.