- Venture Capital
- Company size
- Sydney, Australia
|Breastfeeding rooms||In Development|
|Continuation of superannuation payments whilst on paid Parental Leave|
|Continuation of superannuation payments whilst on unpaid Parental Leave||No|
|Domestic and Family Violence policy||In Development|
|Employee Assistance Program (EAP)||In Development|
|Employee engagement scores year on year|
|Employee turnover rate|
|Employer is a Pay Equity Ambassador*||In Development|
|Internal Women's networking groups||No|
|Leadership development programs|
|Minimum tenure required to be eligible for Paid Parental Leave||12 Months|
|Open to discussing flexible working arrangements at the interview stage?|
|Opportunities to purchase leave||No|
|Paid Parental Leave at full salary for primary carer (not including government-funded parental leave)||4 Weeks|
|Paid Parental Leave at full salary for secondary carer||4 Weeks|
|Paid volunteer days|
|Programs for parents returning to work after Parental Leave|
|Targets to raise the number of women in leadership||No|
Blackbird is a venture capital firm whose mission is to supercharge Australia’s most ambitious founders.
Why work for us?
- We are a founding VC member of Project Include, a program to improve diversity in tech companies.
- We are passionate promoters of gender equality in STEM education.
- Diversity and flexible work is driven from the founding partners down. We employ flexible working practices including work-from-home, late starts/early finishes to accommodate family commitments.
- We offer 1 month paid parental leave, plus 5 extra days sick/carer’s leave per year and a supportive return-to-work policy
- Every employee has a learning & development budget
- Blackbird recently promoted Samantha Wong to Partner, making her one of the youngest VCs in Australia, and possibly Australia’s youngest female partner.
We believe that diversity is critical to Blackbird’s success. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Blackbird is a Pledge 1% member — we pledge 1% of our time to help not-for-profit causes in our community, with a focus on greater gender diversity in STEM education.
Our Diversity and Inclusion Approach
Diversity & Inclusion and particularly gender diversity is a focus for Blackbird. There is a growing body of empirical evidence that diverse teams make better decisions. In our own investment portfolio, we have seen that companies with greater diversity outperform companies that don’t. To achieve our mission of backing Australia’s most ambitious founders, it is critical that we build the highest performing team, and diversity is key to achieving that.
Our journey started last year when the team undertook Unconscious Bias training as a team at the initiative of a founding partner. From there, we identified areas for change internally and externally. Internally, we formalised our policies with respect to hiring and HR to ensure we attract the most diverse candidates. Externally, we have:
- Taken measures to improve diversity in our investing;
- Run initiatives to help portfolio companies hire from more diverse candidate pools, particularly for engineering roles;
- Led the drafting of an industry-wide Code of Conduct against sexual harassment;
- Mandated unconscious bias training for all founders and mentors